From the fort's west gate there's a sweeping view across the broad valley of the River Rede towards open moorland on the hilltops beyond. The walls of the two gatehouse towers still stand shoulder high and one of the carved blocks that supported the arch of the gate is still in place. A garrison of 500 men (later rising to 1000) were stationed here; auxiliaries recruited from France, northern Spain, Belgium and Yugoslavia. It's easy to imagine that so many of them stood right here and saw, more or less, the view we see today.
'When we bear in mind the bleak and desolate aspect of the country, even at the present day, the number of well carved altars, and other proofs of civilisation which the station has yielded is very remarkable.'
Reverend J Collingwood Bruce, director of the 1855 excavations at Bremenium.